How does email marketing help with digital marketing
Success factors for email marketing
With a newsletter sent by email, you can address your target group directly and personally and share the content of your content hub. You will become unmistakable through a recognizable and responsive design with constant tonality. Since no algorithm on an online platform reduces the visibility of your content, you have house rights, like on your blog or website. Of course, the addresses must have reached your mailing list in accordance with the GDPR with the consent of the recipient and a double opt-in. Buying addresses is not recommended.
With a trustworthy sender and a well-worded subject, you prevent the e-mail from ending up in your customers' spam filter. Since your e-mail newsletter has to prevail against many messages from competitors, the e-mail needs a promising, meaningful and relevant subject. It should arouse curiosity and not be promotionally formulated in an exaggerated manner. The subject is usually cut off in the mobile view: Therefore, formulate it as briefly as possible, put important keywords at the beginning and avoid more than 50 characters.
What contributes to the readability of a newsletter?
The heading of the newsletter should not repeat the subject, but ideally supplement it in a meaningful way. This ensures the flow of reading is guaranteed and the reader is not bothered by unnecessary repetitions. If it then goes straight into the content, the most important thing is ideally at the beginning. If a call-to-action (CTA) appears in the first paragraph, readers who do not have the patience for the complete newsletter also click on it. Use the CTA to guide readers to the desired landing page and thus increase the conversion rate. The texts should be well structured, not contain too many technical terms and avoid intricate sentence structures.
Particularly charming in email marketing is the exact success analysis by measuring opening and click rates, bounce and conversion rates and unsubscribing. From the regular evaluation of this data, valuable conclusions can be drawn about the appropriate frequency and interest in the content can be identified.
Results of the E-Mail Marketing Benchmark 2019 study by inxmail
Inxmail, the German provider of software solutions for sending e-mails, has published a study on the optimization of e-mail campaigns and newsletters. The key figures determined for newsletters were taken from three billion anonymized e-mails from over 150,000 mailings. These companies sent these with InxmailProfessional in the DACH region in 2018.
Some of the interesting findings from the investigation include the following:
- The companies send an average of 16.2 mailings to B2C customers per month compared to just 5.7 mailings in the B2B area.
- Companies from the arts & culture as well as clothing & jewelry send mailings particularly frequently, with trade media following in third place. At the other end of the scale are the energy industry, marketing & advertising and insurance.
- In B2C, companies sent three times as many mailings as in B2B.
The opening rate is an important parameter for e-mail newsletters. The message should stand out between business and private e-mails as well as spam, without being outrageous.
- The average opening rate is 27 percent, with the art & culture sector enjoying 47.5 percent, surprisingly followed by the insurance industry with 38.6 percent.
- In the B2B area, the sending time has little effect on the opening rate. Amazingly, particularly high open rates were measured in B2B on weekends.
- In B2C, the second half of the day is the clear favorite when it comes to opening times. The focus is on the afternoon of the weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday.
- The opening rates were highest for smaller distributors, which shows how important target-oriented content is.
Anyone who understands the target group knows when they are reading mailings
Those who know their target group well or who work with the concept of the persona have an idea of what time and day of the week are suitable for sending.
- A quarter of all B2B mailings were sent on a Thursday.
- 17 percent of B2C mailings were also sent on a Thursday.
- On closer inspection, this is only a moderate accumulation, because companies rarely send mailings on a weekend.
- In the B2B area, 40 percent of e-mails were sent between 9 a.m. and 12 noon. In B2C it was 30 percent for this period.
- It is hardly surprising that B2C customers are also addressed after work. The companies send over seven percent of the mailings between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. In the case of B2B addressees, it is only 2.2 percent.
The results are undoubtedly interesting, but do not replace the fact that you should know your target group and their behavior exactly. The more you know about them and the better you understand them, the more targeted you can address them. This includes the time and type of address, but also the segmentation. Seldom does a newsletter fit all recipients. Ideally, when subscribing to the newsletter, ask specifically about the interests of your readers. So you can send them a newsletter with the topics that are most important to them and specifically answer their questions and solve problems. Experience has shown that the unsubscribe rates for segmented mailings are lower.
Show appreciation for your readers by producing exclusively high-quality, relevant, exclusive and easily readable content. Subscribers usually quickly unsubscribe from a newsletter with banal content or an exaggerated frequency.
Use the success analysis and take a close look at the reasons for unsubscribing from the newsletter. You should give several reasons to choose from and definitely leave an empty field for further reasons. If there is repeated criticism that the newsletter appears too often or too seldom, you can use this as an opportunity to change the frequency.
- What are the secondary causes of high blood pressure
- How can e-commerce be gamified
- Why are Cummins diesels the best
- How is glucose D in diabetes
- Asia has snow
- Is it worth the risk to work abroad
- What do you dislike about Italki
- When did I use had
- How can I learn English on my own?
- What do the Swiss do well
- How much does a lot cost
- How is Grofers com for grocery shopping
- Who invented the Candy Crush Saga
- How does Xanax make people lose weight
- How did the Romans conquer Greece
- Why are Quora moderators so mean
- Is a choice to love
- What does a wheezing cough mean
- What alternatives are there to Zendesk Message
- Where does iron spawn in Minecraft
- The programming language R is useful
- Indians come back from Australia
- Who Makes More Money Vlogger or Blogger
- What are reasonable gun laws