Why is Tiktok so addicting
Addictive? Children spend 80 minutes on TikTok every day
A new study shows that children spend an average of 80 minutes on TikTok every day. The corona lockdown has significantly increased the screen time.
According to a new study of children's online behavior, TikTok is becoming increasingly popular with children: children between the ages of 4 and 15 squat an average of 80 minutes a day in front of TikTok. This is what the study by Qustodio, a provider of parental control apps, says.
For the study, data from 60,000 families with children from the USA, Great Britain and Spain were evaluated. The online habits between February 2019 and April 2020 were examined. It was also possible to see how the corona crisis affects the online behavior of children.
Corona lockdown has significantly increased screen times
It becomes clear that children are currently spending more time in front of the screen than ever before. Even before the corona lockdown, there was clear growth, but the closed schools and social distancing have significantly exacerbated this trend. On average, children spend almost 90 minutes a day in front of entertainment apps, which include YouTube, Netflix or Twitch. In May 2019, the children were still spending about 59 minutes on YouTube and Co. In the study, TikTok is one of the social media apps, which is why the average 80 minutes are on top of that. This means that children between 4 and 15 hang out alone in front of YouTube, TikTok and Co. for at least 170 minutes a day.
It is unclear whether this trend will continue when schools reopen and life becomes "more normal" again. We also don't know whether the figures from Spain, Great Britain and the USA apply equally to Germany.
7 tips that emerged from the study
At the same time, Qustodio drew conclusions from the study and provides tips for parents that arise from the changed online behavior of their kids:
- Tear down the walls between you and your children: watch online videos together and play video games together.
- Makes the screen turn off an hour before bed. The blue light of the smartphone or tablet reduces the quality of sleep. Screen time should never replace sleep time.
- Always balance screen time with appropriate exercise.
- Most online videos, games, and social media platforms are designed to be addicting. Setting screen time is key here. There should be a pause on the screen after 45 minutes.
- Show your child positive role models that they can follow on Instagram and Co.
- Do not put game consoles and Co. in the children's room.
- Checks video game reviews to make sure the games are age-appropriate.
It may not come as a surprise that the corona lockdown has significantly increased the amount of time children spend in front of the screen. The only important thing is that sports clubs, friends and other leisure activities will soon have priority again and replace the smartphone as the best friend and anti-boredom agent.
Did you like "Danger of addiction? Children spend 80 minutes on TikTok every day"? We would be happy if you share the article - and of course you are welcome to follow us on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram.
- What can I eat to get fat
- Is Greta Thunberg an actress
- Which countries have the best aerospace engineers?
- How healthy are low-carbohydrate diets
- What is a bulk SMS gateway
- What does a tsunami look like
- What is the value of project construction
- Can economic inflation be reversed
- How much are the housekeepers of the hotel paid
- Which part of Vancouver should I move to?
- Fast food restaurants should serve healthier food
- Which machine guns use 7 62 mm
- What is the full form of NASREQ
- What happens if poison enters your body
- What are some weird stock photos
- Are Harry Potter and Hogwarts real
- Works miserably at Google now
- How can I lose weight quickly
- What causes celiac disease Is it genetic
- What is the story of cashmere
- Why is Interstellar such a bad movie
- What is the richest city in Tanzania
- How often are rockets fired into space?
- Are there slums in Kuala Lumpur