What is the thermal speed of electrons
With a very large number of particles it makes sense to use statistical methods to study nature. When describing the molecular velocities in a gas, one expects the most probable distribution, since these are particle numbers in the order of magnitude of the Avogadro number. This most probable distribution (the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution) assumes that the number of particles and the total energy is constant (conservation of energy). The adaptation of the probability distribution to these constraints is generally not a simple mathematical problem (see e.g. Richtmyer, et al.). A simpler way to get the solution is to look at the barometric altitude formula from atmospheric physics. The following derivation from Rohlf.
This derivation makes use of the fact that the mean kinetic energy of the molecules can be expressed in terms of the kinetic temperature. Conservation of energy in this case simply means that kinetic and potential (gravitational) energy have to be balanced if one regards the atmosphere as an ideal gas.
From the expression for the kinetic temperature
this results in an experimentally verified expression for the kinetic energy of the molecules. The barometric altitude formula:
provides the description of an ideal gas system and can be used to derive a plausibility argument for Maxwell's velocity distribution. The following steps are necessary for this:
In one dimension of space this results in the expression:
If one includes all directions of the speed, the result is Maxwell's speed distribution:
It should be noted that a formula that depends on gravity was used for the velocity distribution, but "g" no longer appears in the end. The barometric formula was only used to link the conservation of particles and energy with the velocity distribution.
- Which countries have the easiest breakfast?
- Are Somali Caucasian people with black skin
- What makes you distrust charities
- Where does the Japanese language come from
- Stools cause cancer
- How many employees does Quora have
- What is it like to drink alcohol
- How does acetone remove pencil marks
- What are the profit margins on bicycles
- Is vegetarian food available in Singapore
- Are prudence boldness prudence and intelligence hereditary
- Why are unions formed?
- What global problem did China face?
- Why was Karl Marx viewed as a Freemason
- Why does eating McDonalds hurt my stomach?
- How to submit an RTI
- Which restaurants use store bought frozen foods
- What ails Indian Muslims
- What does HID stand for
- How do I stop playing PUBG
- How does backpacking work
- How do I stop drinking and smoking
- What would you use Microsoft Sandbox for?
- Medicaid actually helps people
- How is immigration good for the economy?
- When does the US government shutdown end?
- How can I become an AI programmer
- What is the US dollar connected to?
- What Are Marketing Niches For Blogs 2020
- What's the Best Windows E-mail Program
- Halifax Nova Scotia is an expensive city
- How many people speak Mandarin
- How powerful are lichens in D D.