Uber is cheaper than owning a car
Car sharing cost comparison
Own car or car sharing - which is cheaper?
- Car sharing is worthwhile if you are not constantly dependent on the car and do not need it daily or regularly for longer journeys.
- The fewer kilometers you need a car a year, the more car sharing pays off. It's worth it up to around 10,000 kilometers a year.
- For example, those who drive 5,000 kilometers a year save between 900 and 1,500 euros a year with car sharing compared to their own car.
- You can find out how car sharing works and which providers are recommended in our guide.
Car sharing, i.e. the flexible rental of a vehicle, is particularly popular with young city dwellers. More and more often they do without their own car and combine car sharing with trains, local public transport and bicycles. A taxi ride is also possible every now and then, with the sums carsharing users save without their own car. But car sharing is not worthwhile for everyone. We did the math.
That costs a VW Golf per month
|other fixed costs||17 €|
|operating cost||107 €|
|Inspection and Maintenance||16 €|
|Tire replacement||18 €|
New VW Golf 1.4 TSI BMT Comfortline, holding period: 4 years with 15,000 km each. Source: ADAC (March 2016)
Our tip: Always stay up to date - with our free newsletter!
Our tip: stay on the topic [category] always up to date - with our free newsletter!
Realistically estimate car costs
Having your own car in front of the door is unquestionably convenient - especially for spontaneous trips, excursions or long journeys. Shopping may also be more relaxed for some people if the rented car does not incur costs. Because with car sharing you not only pay for driving, but also for intermittent parking. A look at the total costs of your car helps to realistically estimate the car sharing prices. The table on the right shows an example of the complete monthly costs of a VW Golf. If you only calculate the fuel costs, you are lying to yourself.
Also, remember that your time is valuable. A private car needs repairs, MOT, inspections and regular cleaning. These can be time wasters. With car sharing, all of this is done by the operator. In addition, you don't have to take a parking ticket and usually don't even have to worry about refueling.
Our sample calculations below, which we made in 2014, serve as a rough guide for comparison. To do this, we have taken various routes and times as a basis and also calculated parking times. The use is of course very individual: the actual costs depend on your driving habits, the providers and the vehicles.
Nimble vs. new smart cars
Drivenow vs. new BMW 3 Series
For example, those who drive 5,000 kilometers a year can save between 900 and 1,500 euros a year with car sharing. Renting a car is worthwhile up to around 10,000 kilometers a year. Other sources see the limit at 11,250 kilometers (Wirtschaftswoche) or 15,600 kilometers (world).
However, if you use the car every day or regularly need it for longer journeys, then your own car is more suitable. In addition, for some, a car is also a hobby or a luxury and thus emotionally charged. Rational financial arguments then of course take a back seat - which is perfectly fine.
You can read more about car parts in our car sharing guide.
Do you want to buy a car and can't decide? Then use our car cost calculator.
To the calculator
Daniel Pöhler mainly works on the Finanztip newsletter and, as deputy head of text, contributes to the linguistic quality of all Finanztip texts. His focus is on mobility and the digital. In his traineeship at the trade newspaper Telecom Handel, he learned what makes the telecommunications industry and trade tick. Daniel holds a degree in business administration from the University of Bayreuth.
Until December 2015, Frederike Roser was head of communications and was responsible for Finanztip's press and public relations work. Before taking on this role, she worked as a team editor for the topics of cars and travel. The trained consumer journalist brought experience from numerous editorial offices, consumer protection and the Stiftung Warentest.
* What the star means:
With our recommendations, we want to help as many people as possible to do their own finances. This is why our content is available online free of charge. We finance our extensive work with so-called affiliate links. We mark these links with an asterisk (*).
At Finanztip, however, we handle affiliate links differently than other websites. We only link to products that were previously recommended by our independent expert editorial team. Only then can the relevant provider set a link to this offer. We get money if you click on such a link or conclude a contract with the provider.
Whether and in what amount a provider pays us has no influence on our recommendations. What our experts recommend to you depends solely on whether an offer is good for consumers.
You can find more information about how we work on our About Us page.
+++ Get our tax series +++
The 7-part Finanztip tax series especially for the 2020 corona year.
Tips on how to get the most out of it and which control software can save you a lot of time.
Free in our Newsletter. Register now!
- How many quarters weigh 100 grams
- The blood sugar of 7 8 is high
- Don't take straightforward people taking medication
- What does a vegan diet consist of
- How do financial analysts make money
- How to leave the Episcopal Church
- Which is the best 3D CAD software
- What is the definition of machine
- Where can you sell antique cameras
- Are all moderators on Quora Indians
- What are the symptoms of health anxiety
- Euros are used in Budapest and Prague
- How do I want something bad
- Hiring NASA graphic designers
- Why is Myanmar less famous in Asia
- Where does nationalism come from?
- Are top writers paid by Quora
- How do you move around the country
- What kind of rabbits can you eat
- Why do stores give discounts
- Will Congress ever come back to power?
- What's your rating of WiseBanyan
- Why should I be conservative?
- Life in Singapore is fun
- Why is Myanmar less famous in Asia
- Was Snape a traitor?
- Water loses minerals when cooking
- Do you think money changed your life?
- What are active power filters
- Girls really like to make money
- How does a penis feel?
- Were you an affiliate with Wealthy
- Did John Cena kill someone
- Which is the best monitor