What are some examples of degree adjectives
As comparative becomes one of the forms of expression of the adjective(Adjectives) designated. The adjective knows three forms of intensification: the basic form (Positive), the comparative (1st increase) and the superlative(2nd increase). Accordingly, the superlative is the highest form of accent of the part of speech. The comparative makes it possible to compare two things with each other (X is smarter than Y), whereby the highest form compares one thing with several things or with the whole (Z is the smartest).
Term & example
The name of the higher form can be derived from Latin gradus comparativus deduce what to do with suitable for comparison translates. Accordingly, the translation already indicates the meaning and purpose of the comparative: it is used to compare two things that share at least one property. Let's look at the enhancement of the adjective according to.
The above examples clarify the positive, i.e. the basic form of the adjective, the comparative and the highest increase: the superlative. The basic form of the adjective is according to. The positive is always used when an adjective is used without an increase. The comparative is volume up and is used to compare two things on the basis of one property: namely, here it is according tohe than on the demo.
In the above example it is the superlative which enhances the whole thing even further. This is namely the second and final form of the adjective and indicates that something (Person, issue, object) has the highest possible degree of a quality or characteristic compared to others. Hence the concerts the loudest. So there is nothing louder than the concerts.
Formation of comparative and superlative
The forms of intensification are almost the same for all adjectives. So the comparative always ends in the ending -he, the superlative with -ste and -st is formed. There are only a few exceptions.
In German end up regularly increased adjectives so in the comparative -he. Here, the adjective usually starts with a as connected, which serves as a comparison object. It is important that the comparative follows the case(Case) and number(Number) of the noun (Declination)if it comes directly in front of the reference noun (1). If this is not the case, the ending remains -he and the adjustment is not necessary (2).
(2)The view from the tower is beautifulner as below.
The above examples illustrate the formation. In the first sentence, the heightened adjective comes directly before the reference noun. So on the one hand becomes the comparative ending -he used and the adjective declined on the other hand. Since the noun view is in the accusative and is feminine (Who or what is there on the tower? The more beautiful view!), becomes the basic form beautiful a e appended. In the comparative it becomes more beautiful.
The superlative can in German by means of a specific article a or through at the be initiated. Will he be with a certain articles formed, is attached to the respective adjective ste(1) hanged. He will, however at the formed, the adjective ends in the highest form sten(2).
(2)This music is the most beautifulsten.
The two example sentences illustrate the principle of comparison in terms of the superlative. As in the first sentence, it is formed with the help of a specific article (the), the adjective ends in -ste. In the second sentence it is replaced by a at the formed, which is why the adjective is based on -st ends.
|Comparison of the adjective||regularly||irregular|
|superlative(2nd increase)||most beautifulsten||on besten|
Exceptions to the comparison
In most cases, the increment of the adjectives is constant. There are, however, a few exceptions that are particularly important for the formation of the superlative. These concern irregular adjectives; Adjectives that are monosyllabic or on d / t, s / ß / x / z ending as well as that e with unstressed adjective ending.
(1) Some adjectives form superlatives and comparatives with an umlaut. Very often this applies to monosyllabic adjectives. Here the vowel of the basic form changes into an umlaut (Ex .: cold - colder - coldest; smart - smarter - smartest).
(2) Adjectives starting with the lettersd / t or s / ß / x / z end, form the top form (Superlative) mostly with the adjective ending est(Ex .: fat - fatter - fattest, nice - nicer - nicest). The additional e serves as a pronunciation aid.
(3) Ends the basic form of the adjective el or evil and is also unstressed, this is not applicable e in the formation of the comparative. However, it remains in top form (Ex .: noble - nobler - most noble). This does not apply if the ending is stressed or the adjective is on ell ends (E.g .: current - current - most current).
(4) There are also adjectives that are irregular. The comparative and the superlative simply have to be learned here, since the rules presented are applicable, but the basic form of the adjective changes.
|irregular adjectives (Selection)|
- The German has three degrees for the increase of adjectives: Positive (Basic form), Comparative (1st increase) and superlative (2nd increase). The first increment is used to compare things that share a characteristic. The translation of the word also refers to this ("Suitable for comparison").
- The 1st increase, including multi-level, higher level, comparison level and increase level, is usually through the follower of -he realized. The adjective therefore follows from the structure Basic form + ending of the increasing form + declination.
- The main exceptions to this rule are irregular adjectives. The comparison of the irregular adjectives has to be learned quite simply.
- What is gravity and what is spacetime
- How hot chess players are
- What is the correct pronunciation of buffet
- Can I get citizenship through surrogacy?
- Can we trust IQ tests
- What inventions did Aristotle make in mathematics
- What are the best philosophical dialogues
- Average life expectancy increases
- Do you care about mental health? Why
- Americans are usually bilingual
- How do I become a dairy farmer
- Will Quora just be another social medium
- What Are Marketing Niches For Blogs 2020
- What is the founding story of Netflix
- When did Canada introduce the metric system?
- How did nudity qualify as art
- Who benefits from the gun culture in the USA
- Jakarta has a subway system
- How to make money with Pokemon
- What are you using Google search for?
- What is the Best SQL Certification Program
- What is your favorite homeopathic remedy?
- Can humans terraform Mars to be habitable?
- What is the value of 5 5