Are the Philippines a strong country?
Strong earthquake in the Philippines
According to the US earthquake control station USGS, the earthquake occurred at 5:11 p.m. local time at a depth of 40 kilometers. The center of the quake was near the city of Castillejos, in the province of Zambales, around 100 kilometers northwest of the capital Manila. A strength of 6.1 was measured.
The quake trapped people in an overturned building, damaged an airport terminal and lost power in at least one province. High-rise buildings swayed in the capital, and numerous buildings in the city center were evacuated. Hundreds of office workers ran outside with protective helmets on (article picture).
Rescue workers in Manila
A building collapsed in the city of Porac. Several people were saved and taken to hospital. Provincial Governor Lilia Pineda initially assumed that more people were buried in the building. The rescue work was made more difficult by power outages. Two people were killed in the collapse, said Angie Blanco of the provincial civil protection agency. There was a supermarket on the ground floor of the building, it said.
The other fatalities perished in the rubble of their homes, Blanco said. A woman is said to have died with her grandson in the city of Lubao when a wall collapsed.
No tsunami alarm was given, according to the director of the Phivolcs earthquake monitoring station in Quezon City, Renato Solidum. However, he called on people to be cautious about possible aftershocks.
The Philippines are located on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, where tectonic plates collide. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are particularly common there. In October 2013, a 7.1 magnitude quake killed more than 220 people and destroyed centuries-old churches.
lh / hf (dpa, ap, afp)
- How can I cook delicious zucchini
- Which food makes people healthy?
- Can you die from too much sex?
- How dangerous is indoor climbing
- Where can I find reliable SEO websites
- Why is Brazil not a superpower
- Tesco is a UK company
- Get faster by driving short distances
- What is average lead to conversion rate
- How do I add pictures to questions
- What happens psychologically when you hug someone
- MDMA causes paranoia
- Men meet older women
- What if CPS abuses my child
- What is Handa Ka Funda
- Makes her pregnant when she goes deep
- Where are voltage regulators used?
- Why is extracellular DNA contained in biofilms?
- How can cyanide kill you instantly
- How do potatoes make me fat
- What is a Mike in a military sense
- How do I stop drinking and smoking
- Why are Quora moderators so mean
- What is nationwide shipping