How does the US education system work
School system in the USA
In the United States, children start school when they are 5 or 6 years old. School attendance is compulsory up to the age of 16 or 18, depending on the federal state. Children younger than 5 years can attend a nursery school or preschool.
At 5 or 6 years of age, children go to “Elementary School” (elementary school, also called “Grade School” or “Grammar School”), which lasts 6 years. By the way, the first year at the Elementary School is called “Kindergarten”.
After elementary school, the students switch to "Middle School" (also called "Junior High School"), where they study for 3 years. Then the students go to the "Senior High School". Some states require students to study in high school until they are 18. In other states, with parental consent, they can leave school at 16 or 17.
|<>||nursery school / preschool|
|11-14||middle school / junior high school|
|14-18||high school / senior high school|
When talking about the school year, the US usually uses the ordinal number; B. 'tenth grade'. (In Great Britain, on the other hand, the basic number is usually used, e.g. 'year ten'.)
At the Elementary School, students mainly learn arithmetic, reading and writing. There are usually between 20 and 30 students in a class.
The junior and senior high schools also mainly teach English, math, biology, chemistry, physics, sports and history. In addition to the compulsory subjects, schools offer other subjects from which students can choose, e.g. B. Art, foreign languages, computer science. Sports play a particularly important role in US schools - many students are members of a club.
Talented students can take advanced courses or take courses at Community College after school or during the holidays. Often such courses are later recognized by the universities and enable an early university degree.
The grades in the USA (as in other English-speaking countries) are not numbers but letters.
- A> 90% (very good)
- B> 80% (good)
- C> 70% (satisfactory)
- D> 60% (just failed)
- E> 50% (failed)
- F. < 50="" %="" (nicht="">
All grades lower than C usually mean 'failed'. The grades themselves can be further differentiated with a plus (+) or a minus (-).
Most students in the United States attend state schools. These are financed through taxpayers' money so that parents do not have to pay school fees. Approximately 10% of US students attend private schools, but an annual fee must be paid for them.
There is also the option of homeschooling in the USA, i.e. lessons at home. About 1-2% of American parents choose this option. Reasons for homeschooling include: B. religious views, special needs of children (e.g. with disabilities), but also problems in traditional schools (bullying, drugs, etc.). However, there are also many voices against homeschooling. They are of the opinion that the students do not develop social skills, that the teachers (often the parents) have insufficient training and that (especially for religious reasons) extremism could be encouraged.
School uniforms are not common in US schools. However, many schools have a dress code that specifies what types of clothing can and cannot be worn in school. Some schools (especially private schools) have started to introduce school uniforms, e.g. B. To prevent branding and to improve discipline in schools.
- Is the increase in the minimum wage actually disadvantageous?
- Is the Dukan diet really effective
- Is the cumulative distribution function always measurable
- How does love feel physically
- Should I aim for an MBA from IIMs?
- What are the benefits of Flipkart plus membership
- Destroyers like battleships become obsolete
- What is a good lifestyle blog
- Can sound travel through dark matter
- Hillary Clinton is under investigation
- What is the SPI Protocol in Embedded Systems
- What breed is my puppy
- Will the CAB NRC work in India
- What is internal and external link
- Backdating blog posts is a good idea
- How do I better answer Quora
- Fatty liver can cause cancer
- How did the fast food industry start?
- Smart people are less happy in life
- How many people died on submarines
- Are you polyamorous
- Does ClickBank University work
- What is a career in data science
- What is NASA's pay scale
- Is a digital printing business profitable
- Skin cancer is always metastatic
- How should I lose weight while studying
- How many quarters weigh 100 grams
- Means intelligent wise
- How effective have bayonet charges been in history
- Can the knight chess piece move backwards?
- Why should a parent abuse their child
- Infidelity is common among married Indian women