Why is homophobia dangerous
Homophobia is still a problem
More and more gays and lesbians in Belgium are complaining about discrimination. In the past year, 125 cases were reported to the Center for Equal Opportunities, Unia.
Illustration image: Pixabay
This increased the number by 40 percent within five years. There were complaints about violent attacks, but also about discrimination in the housing market and hate speech on the Internet.
According to Unia, the increase in the number of reported cases does not necessarily mean an increase in homophobia, but is also related to a greater awareness of the problem. According to Unia Director Patrick Charlier, there is still a long way to go from broad acceptance of the so-called Holebis in our society.
In addition to physical and verbal violence, it is often more subtle forms of discrimination that homosexuals struggle with. Unia director Else Keystman thinks primarily of discrimination against customers and tenants. Some do not get an apartment because of their sexuality. Or taxi and bus drivers who verbally attack their customers because they dislike their sexuality.
There are of course many prejudices on the Internet, but unfortunately it doesn't stop at bad news. Photos are also uploaded where, for example, someone can be seen with a machine gun and the inscription: "All gays should be sent home or sent to prison".
The Unia director also says there are parallels to right-wing currents: In other words, people who are politically right-wing are also increasingly homophobic. It goes so far that they equate homosexuality with pedophilia. This applies, for example, to the right-wing populist association of students Schild & Vrienden, she says.
In theory, most of them have nothing against homosexuals, but as soon as two gays walk past one hand in hand, many of them suddenly have a problem with it. So there still seems to be a need for clarification.
vrt / rtbf / sh
Because of the "bad rights"! There is one more important group that is missing from the list and that every gay person and some lesbian should be very familiar with! Unfortunately, at least in Merkel-Land, political correctness and the we-all-so-dear-whimpering forbid the naming of these mostly young men who are mostly under testosterone and under sexual pressure. Identifying yourself as gay or lesbian to these gentlemen can be really dangerous.
Paradoxically, you will find many of the same gentlemen in internet forums, swimming pools, saunas or on motorway parking lots, where they no longer differentiate so precisely between man and woman when choosing their sex partners. And I know what I'm talking about.
- Businesses make profits on Black Friday
- What is quantum chemistry
- What happened to Shopify dropshipping
- Which websites accept guest blog posts
- What are Molecular Dynamics and MD Simulation
- What is the most mysterious spatial anomaly
- How do you dispose of pizza boxes
- Spring water is definitely good to drink
- Why is the universe mysterioes
- Which country imports the least food?
- What are some funny quotes about Halloween
- What is the best drug for ADHD
- Can hydrofluoric acid melt a human body
- Why do people cling to being poor?
- Why do we live in three dimensions
- Drug problems are still widespread in Punjab
- Is Harvard really providing financial aid?
- Are aluminum pots safe
- What is the war on drugs
- Skin cancer is always metastatic
- What are some examples of traditional economies
- The Japanese celebrate April Fool's Day
- What would your typical day be
- Why do we have private property
- How do we feel after enlightenment
- Why was Hitler so cruel
- Do you think school is really everything?
- How does the Indonesian English accent sound
- Pay rent
- Falls Instagram because of TikTok
- What is Instagram's email