Is fresh food more nutritious
How healthy are frozen vegetables?
Frozen vegetables often contain more vitamins than fresh vegetables or vegetables that have been preserved in a jar or in a can. Some ingredients in frozen ready meals are problematic.
The term frozen food is used to describe food that has been preserved by so-called deep freezing. Before deep-freezing, vegetables are usually blanched to reduce the number of germs.
If vegetables are frozen quickly, the ice crystals in the cells and intercellular spaces of the plants are so small that no damage occurs and the nutrients are largely retained. They can be preserved almost perfectly, especially with so-called shock freezing (below minus 30 degrees). A thin layer of ice around the vegetables prevents liquids and nutrients from escaping.
Fresh vegetables quickly lose vitamins
Frozen vegetables usually contain more nutrients than vegetables in jars or cans, but also than fresh vegetables that have been stored in the refrigerator for a few days. Because light and heat cause the nutrient content in fresh vegetables to drop significantly over time.
Vegetables begin to crumble and wilt right after they are harvested. This means that important nutrients, especially vitamins, are lost. For example, peas lose over 40 percent of vitamin C in the refrigerator within just two days of being harvested, and even 80 percent of spinach leaves.
Ingredients in frozen ready meals
Unlike pure frozen vegetables, frozen ready meals often contain ingredients that consumer advocates consider problematic, for example:
- Flavor enhancers
It is therefore important to pay attention to the list of ingredients when buying frozen ready-to-eat meals. Some manufacturers advertise that they do not use additives in their frozen products.
Frozen foods: tips on buying
So that the nutrients in frozen vegetables are retained, the so-called cold chain must not be interrupted. That means:
- The temperature in the supermarket refrigerated shelf should be minus 18 degrees or less. If ice has formed in the chest, the cooling is not working properly.
- Only buy frozen products with undamaged packaging.
- Do not put frozen food in the cart until you have finished shopping.
- Use a special insulating bag for transport home or place several frozen products next to each other to keep the cold better.
Defrost frozen food properly
In order to maintain the quality of frozen products, consumers should be careful of a few things during defrosting and preparation:
- Always thaw frozen food in the refrigerator. The goods can spoil at higher temperatures.
- When thawing, the food should lie dry and not come into contact with the thawing liquid. In the case of poultry, salmonella can collect in the thawing water!
- If possible, consume frozen products within 24 hours after thawing.
- Frozen vegetables should not be thawed, but prepared frozen, as otherwise they can lose nutrients. It is best to cook briefly, but over a very high heat.
- Frozen pizzas, potato products and bread rolls should also be prepared in the frozen state.
- Products that are consumed cold - such as smoked fish, fruit or cakes - must be completely thawed beforehand.
Frozen food: Is it possible to freeze it again?
Hardly any frozen product lacks the information that it should not be frozen again after it has been thawed. However, according to the German Deep Freeze Institute, it is possible under certain conditions to freeze thawed food again - especially with cooked or highly heated food.
- The thawed products should be frozen again as quickly as possible because microorganisms can spread when thawed.
- Frozen products should be reheated thoroughly before consumption to kill possible germs.
- When freezing again, important nutrients are lost because the food in its own freezer does not cool down as quickly as with shock freezing. Therefore, you should estimate the required portions as precisely as possible before preparation in order to avoid re-freezing.
Do restaurants still cook properly?
Instead of frozen pizza at home, a freshly cooked dish in the restaurant? You can't rely on that: in many restaurants at least some of the dishes are industrially produced. more
This topic in the program:
Market | 05/03/2021 | 8:15 pm
- Can we absorb energy from the sun?
- Why is India so conservative and orthodox
- How do I visit other dimensions
- What is an affiliate landing page
- How high fly flies
- What are some scary road signs
- Google websites are free
- Which country is the best economy
- What is your dream car 2
- What kind of food is aging you
- How is a high IQ
- How much is a gigolo paid
- How does it feel to be materialistic
- What are symptoms of gallstones
- What are your 5 favorite business slogans
- When will smoking trigger cancer?
- Why did the Romans hate Jesus?
- Why do narcissists reflect what you say
- They are great tube jeans to wear
- How long does bipolar hypersexuality last
- Were there wealthy Jews in National Socialist Germany?
- Is BBQ food really unhealthy?
- What are all the Harry Potter spells
- What is the answer used for?