Does a newborn baby need a passport

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office

There are two types of pass for children and teenagers:

1) Biometric passports: European passports can be issued from birth, but no later than 12 years of age. We recommend applying for European passports, as the simpler children's passports are not recognized in all countries outside the EU. Biometric passports for people under 24 are valid for 6 years and are printed in the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin.

2)Children's passports: Children's passports are simpler (not biometric) passports and are usually issued within 2 days. Children's passports have replaced the green, folded children's ID cards and have been since January 1, 2021 only valid for 1 year, but no longer than 12 years of age. Children's passports, among other things, are not accepted for visa-free entry into the USA.

All passports must personal (parents and child) can be requested by appointment. It is not possible to submit an application by post. An extension of ID cards and passports of any kind is no longer possible. Since June 26, 2012, child entries in the parents' passport are invalid and no longer entitle the child to cross the border. You can keep your existing passport / child ID during the processing time if you have to travel urgently and the passport is still valid.

Important information for FIRST PASSES: In some constellations, in front the passport application Submit aName declaration necessary. Please read the information on our website before making an appointment: Information on the name declaration

We would like to point out that only complete passport applications can be accepted. You must therefore assume that if the documents are incomplete, you will need to meet again with an appointment.

Required Documents

The following documents are required for the application in Original and copy required:

  • fully completed application form
    Application for a passport to be issued for under 18s PDF / 589 KB
  • two of the same, newer passport photos suitable for biometrics (please do not cut the passport photos yourself!)
    Sample examples for suitable biometric passport photos PDF / 2 MB // passport photo template
  • Birth certificate stating the exact place of birth (for US birth certificates, the “county” is not sufficient, so that a “proof of birth letter” from the hospital must also be presented). The birth certificate must also contain the names of the parents ("long version")
  • Previous passport / child ID (data page with picture)
  • For non-US citizens: Applicant's valid right of residence in the USA (US Resident Alien Card, US residence visa, US passport, US Certificate of Birth Abroad or US Citizenship Certificate)
  • Passports of both parents (data page with picture)
  • Valid US residence permit of the German parent (US resident alien card or US residence visa) Information for holders of green cards without an expiry date
  • Parents' marriage certificate
  • if the parents were not married at birth, acknowledgment of paternity is required
  • if applicable, certificate of naming, see also information on naming rights for children
  • Declaration of consent from the other parent, provided that the child is only accompanied by one parent (exception: children over 16 years of age when applying for an identity card).
    Parental consent form PDF / 5 KB
  • if applicable, German naturalization certificate
  • if applicable, retention permit and US naturalization certificate
  • Parents' US driver's license or utility bill
  • if applicable, confirmation of deregistration from Germany
  • Passport fee

Even if your child received their last passport from another diplomatic mission in the USA, we ask you to bring the documents mentioned above with you again (except for the de-registration certificate). So please bring birth certificates, name certificates and marriage certificates with you. The application cannot be processed without these documents!

This information relates to the majority of the individual cases occurring here. However, due to the complexity of German passport and identity card law and the variety of possible issues, deviations are possible in each individual case and further documents to be provided can be requested if necessary.


A current list of fees can be found here: fees

Birth name declaration for children

In some cases, a child name declaration is required prior to application in order to set or change the child's maiden name. The name declaration may also be required if the desired name is already noted on the child's non-German birth certificate. You may need an appointment for this name declaration. You can find more information on naming rights here: Naming rights

Appointments to apply for a passport

Passport applications can only be made by prior appointment. You don't know which of our nine agencies is responsible for you? Please consult our consulate finder in advance