Can you give a reason to live?

Unemployment benefit II: requirements, income and assets

Income and property

Unemployment benefit II is only given to people in need. Therefore, they must first use their own funds before receiving any financial aid. If you have income or have assets, you first have to secure your livelihood if tax exemptions are exceeded.


Income is basically any income in money that you get. For example, income includes

  • Income from employment and self-employment,
  • Compensation benefits such as unemployment benefit, parental benefit or sickness benefit,
  • Income from renting and leasing,
  • Maintenance benefits, child benefit, pensions,
  • Capital and interest income,
  • one-off income (e.g. tax refunds, severance payments, inheritances),
  • Vocational training allowance, training allowance, BAföG.

Your job center deducts tax exemptions and expenses from your income.

Important: You must be yours Indicate incomeif you apply for unemployment benefit II. You can find out how to fill out the relevant form correctly in the video: How to fill out the appendix EK for basic security (unemployment benefit II).


Assets include everything that you own and can be measured in money, for example

  • Cash,
  • Savings, savings bonds, securities,
  • Things (such as vehicles or jewelry),
  • Endowment insurance,
  • House and real estate, condominiums.

When it comes to assets, your job center takes your own into account realizable assets and the assets of your benefit community. Assets can be used if they can be used for livelihood.

As with income, there are various allowances for assets. They depend on the type of asset.

Find out more about income and assets (e.g. tax exemptions) in the information sheet Unemployment Benefit II / Social Allowance, Chapter 9.