What are equally likely events
Basic concepts of probability theory
Basics of Statistical Data Analysis pp 195-204 | Cite as
Probabilities give us the opportunity to talk about events that we are uncertain about whether they will occur. "Probable" events are events that can happen, but may also not occur. The concept of probability or chance expresses our knowledge that there are events that are beyond our conscious voluntary control and that cannot be foreseen by us with the help of knowledge about certain regular relationships. The concept of probability shares this property with the concept of fate, and it is therefore not surprising that in many languages words for chance, luck or fate often have the same origin. In contrast to the arbitrariness of fate or “pure” chance, the concept of probability expresses - despite all uncertainty - an element of predictability. Even if certain events could not be predicted in concrete terms, i.e. in individual cases, it was already recognizable to the people of antiquity that they appeared in apparently fixed proportions. The most obvious of these "chance occurrences", which occurred in the equally obvious approximate proportion of 1/2 to 1/2, was the sex of a newborn.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- When did the mass shootings start in America?
- How much was a Roman sesterce worth?
- Is autumn cold in Japan
- Where can I find e-commerce statistics
- Are there life supports on Mars
- What are moral values
- Is there a free WordPress hosting
- Who owns Gary Danko in San Francisco
- Cold food is harmful to our body
- Do Americans prefer everything their government does
- Does Travelocity have an affiliate program
- How should I lose weight while studying
- Why did Poland become fascist?
- Is crypto currency is the future of payments
- Is Joe Biden 2020 over
- Who works with animals in a film
- How do I want something bad
- What is a muslim holiday
- The thought of eternity scares you
- What is the dimension of surface energy
- What do hibiscus symbols mean
- Is it legal to buy currencies online
- What is borderline histrionic
- What are some Celtic symbols of valor