What is the darkest day of the year
Summer solstice 2021: when is the longest day of the year?
The days are getting lighter, the hours of sunshine more and yet the day comes when it gets darker again. The time of the summer solstice is decisive for this. We'll tell you when the time will come.
Before the summer solstice comes, on Saturday 20th March 2021 reaches a so-called equinox, also called equinox. On this day it is dark for about as long as it is light.
The longest day of the year is waiting on Monday, June 21, 2021 to us. At the summer solstice that then takes place, the day lasts almost 17 hours before night goes on for only around seven hours. The sun then reaches the highest point in the entire year in the northern hemisphere and gives us plenty of daylight before it disappears again on the horizon.
The summer solstice marks the beginning of summer according to the astronomical definition. According to the meteorological definition, summer starts a few weeks before that.
Conversely, this also means that from June 21st it will get darker a little earlier every day until finally on Tuesday, December 21, 2021 the winter solstice is reached. On this day we experience the shortest day or the longest night of the year - depending on how you look at it.
Winter and summer solstices are celebrated
Both times, the winter as well as the summer solstice, have been celebrated in various cultures for thousands of years. The mysterious stone circles of Stonehenge in the south of Great Britain serve as pilgrimage sites in Europe.
Thousands of visitors arrive both in summer and in winter to greet the shortest or longest day of the year. In addition to party-goers and tourists, there are also followers of pagan cults. They dance, sing and drum in small, spiritual ceremonies.
The summer and winter solstice is one of the rare occasions when visitors are allowed to go up to the stone colossi. Otherwise, you have to marvel at the Neolithic complex behind barriers. It is not clear why the stones, which weigh up to 25 tons and are thousands of years old, were originally intended there. Stonehenge could have served as a sanctuary or an observatory.
- What is mainland China
- Can hormones cause high triglycerides
- Are Psychological Military Tactics Effective?
- How is winter in Bogota Colombia
- Australia has good street food
- Is the HPV vaccine worth trying
- Has Shopify chat messenger plugins
- How would one country buy another
- What is the first CAD software anyway
- Obesity is really a handicap
- Unshaadi is real
- Is It Safe To Eat Tomato Seeds?
- Why do liquids heat up faster than solids
- Can you date an introvert
- What are the best introductory statistical textbooks
- What is GTA V RP
- How is the structure of nickel DMG
- Which country has the strangest breakfast?
- Should I settle in Canada or Singapore?
- Which answer deserves at least 1k upvotes
- How can I edit my Instagram promotion
- Time is more important than life
- What were your impressions of a visit to Australia
- What was your chance discovery