Are poppies illegal
Poppyseed as a drug: Opium poppies then and now
Opium poppy has made a name for itself as a medicinal plant throughout history. Already thousands of years ago, healers appreciated the effects of Papaver somniferum. However, it has also been known for a long time that poppy seeds can be used as a drug. You can learn more about the controversial plant here.
Papaver somniferum: important medicinal plant in medicinal history
Opium poppy contains the alkaloids morphine, thebaine and codeine, which are responsible for making Papaver somniferum one of the most important medicinal plants in the history of medicines, as the health magazine "Apotheken Umschau" explains in a report on the subject. Alkaloids are plant substances that, in the case of opium poppies, have an analgesic and sleep-promoting effect. The ingredients can not only be used for healing purposes, but also as dangerous intoxicants if misused.
The healing properties of the plant were already valued in ancient times. Whether against pain, insomnia or diarrhea - opium poppy was once an indispensable part of medicine: "At that time, opium poppy was used in numerous forms internally and externally," said Sabine Anagnostou from the Institute for the History of Pharmacy at the University of Marburg to the "Apotheken Umschau" ". "Beyond the Middle Ages, opium was used in confectionery, pills, balms, oils, ointments, plasters and latwergen - viscous, sugary masses." But poppy seeds have also made a name for themselves as a drug: the milky sap of opium poppy, i.e. the opium mentioned, is rich in highly concentrated morphine, which is highly addictive.
Poppyseed as a drug: cultivation is illegal
Commercial and private cultivation or the use of opium poppies is prohibited in Germany. Permission for certain varieties can be obtained from the Federal Office for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM), but only for special low-opium plants. The ban is intended to prevent the misuse of the milk juice, as illegal intoxicants such as heroin can be made from the ingredients. Anyone who grows opium poppies as an ornamental plant in their garden is violating the Narcotics Act and must expect severe penalties. The strict rules serve to protect people and animals, as the dangerous alkaloids are life-threatening even in small doses. As little as 0.2 grams of morphine is considered a lethal dose.
- How do I add pictures to questions
- Breaking tortoise shell
- How can you fight against fake reviews
- What is the highest virtue
- Where is the dirtiest place on earth
- Who was Germany's average soldier?
- What is Python mainly used for?
- Why are the Philippines considered an archipelago
- Which wire can carry more current?
- What images can make someone spiritually
- Which vegetable has all the nutrients
- What qualities make an amazing person
- How is antimatter and matter different?
- Is a heart disease genetic
- What is the intuition behind the Pascal
- Is postponement of ADHD different from normal postponement?
- Will Google Stadia be successful in 2020?
- Put wedding rings on women
- Some Chinese restaurants serve cats
- Gun rights are just an American law
- Which city has the most skyscrapers
- How do I get a book online
- How does the blogger do SEO
- Which number is 15 out of 15
- How did you realize your passion
- What is the least number of microns
- How do people teach themselves advanced coding
- What are some examples of relative pronouns
- How liberal is Asheville NC
- Why are Irish names written so crazy?
- What is your professional passion
- How will you celebrate New Year in 2019
- Is Steam reliable
- How massive are the largest black holes