Running marathons is harmful to your health
Health risks in the marathon
Again and again I read and hear about the marathon paradox: Although preparation is beneficial to health, participation in the marathon is more harmful. Time and again, athletes break down and die after running marathons. In the following you will read when a marathon actually means a health hazard.
No thorough preparation
Whoever wants to run a marathon he has to prepare. No master has ever fallen from the sky and to believe that you can run a marathon without thorough preparation is not only reckless, but very dangerous.The preparation is also healthy because it strengthens our body, our endurance, our muscles and our immune system. Nevertheless, many marathon runners complain of various complaints, mostly knee pain or Achilles tendon problems. This is not surprising, because when running, the body is loaded with 3 to 4 times its own body weight.
Another paradox is that some runners' cardiovascular system fails, causing them to collapse after the marathon. Extreme stress is not good for the body, while regular exercise during exercise has a positive effect on health. Thus, when running a marathon, for example, the risk of a heart attack increases sevenfold. With the right training, however, this risk can generally be contained. The rule is that about 80% of the training should only be carried out with a maximum of medium load.
Undetected diseases, on the other hand, are dangerous. If you want to run a marathon, you should get a thorough check-up by a doctor to make sure that the body can withstand the extreme stress. Heart muscle inflammation can be dangerous if it goes undetected, but other, sometimes congenital, diseases should also be ruled out.
How dangerous is the marathon then?
Anyone who has been checked by the doctor and is considered healthy can safely take part in a marathon. But it is important to prepare properly for the run.
A prime example would be a 35-year-old manager who is slowly falling into a small identity crisis and thinks he can build on the sportiness from his youth: In recent years he may have lived very unhealthily, barely moved, worked and sat a lot, alcohol drank and maybe even smoked. If the manager in question now decides to run a marathon and underestimates the importance of the intensive preparation phase, the health risk increases considerably if he suddenly decides to run 40 kilometers in a row. It is not for nothing, according to legend, that the first marathon runner in Greece collapsed and died after his run.
If you also train incorrectly, you always run the risk of overuse damage. This mainly affects the knees and hips, but the back can also be damaged if, for example, the abdominal muscles are not trained properly. Stretching is also important, this should be done at the end of every workout, as well as the slow discharge. It is also important to start the run slowly, then the pace can be increased slowly after a few minutes. Those who are sick should also take a break; a healthy diet is also an advantage.
Basically, younger marathon runners are of course fitter than older ones, but in the end it is undoubtedly a matter of proper training and regular doctor visits. After all, running is fun and it feels good to strengthen your muscles and stamina. But it is always important not to exceed personal limits and always put health in the foreground.
- Can we know what we don't know
- What is used now instead of VBA
- Where were Muslims during WWII
- Did Plato write the republic?
- How can cyanide kill you instantly
- Is milk vegetarian or not vegetarian 5
- How is Tenerife doing in December
- How safe is Melbourne Australia
- Why does Great Britain have public holidays?
- Which ecommerce websites are using Magento
- Why am I stoic
- Which are good weekend projects for Python
- What colors go well with dark red
- Is Egypt vegan friendly
- How do I know he's enjoying sex
- Support Singaporeans' freedom of information
- How do I crawl Google results
- What is a campaign in digital marketing
- Which countries are net exporters?
- Which is more important environment or economy
- How rich people buy mansions
- How common is depression in ADHD in adults
- Why is influencer marketing important
- How should rented PG apartments be?
- Did Donald Trump do something wrong 1
- What are the best plugins for bloggers
- What are remittances in business
- How should Australia settle for Indians
- Log-normal distribution for bond yields
- What do people think of cancer
- How can people quickly forget things
- How poop Darth Vader
- How do I learn business marketing skills