How are visas issued between countries 1

Visa categories

All types of visas are generally issued by representative authorities (→ BMEIA) abroad. Issuing or extending a visa in Germany or issuing a visa at the border is only permitted in clearly defined exceptional cases.

Further information on the application for a visa for third-country nationals can also be found at

Visa A: Air transit visa

In principle, foreigners who do not leave the transit area or the aircraft during a stopover at an airport do not require a visa.

Citizens of some countries require a Visa A for transit via an Austrian airport, unless they fall under the defined exceptional cases. (The states or exceptional cases can be found in the list of visa requirements.) Visa A may not be issued in Germany. An issue at the border is - for whatever reason - excluded.

Visa C: travel visa

This is the classic tourist visa. Visa C can be issued up to a total stay of 90 days within a period of 180 days and entitles the holder to enter and stay in the Schengen area.

Schengen states: Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary and the non-EU Members Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Visa D: residence visa

Visa D generally entitles you to a stay of 91 days up to six months. In exceptional cases, it is also possible to issue a Visa D with a validity period of up to 12 months (e.g. based on an international agreement) or with a validity period of less than 91 days (domestic visa extension).

A (national) Visa D issued by Austria or another Schengen state entitles the holder to use this visa and a valid travel document to move freely within the territory of the other Schengen MS for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, provided that the entry requirements listed in Article 6 (1) letters a, c and e of the Schengen Borders Code are met and the person is not on the national alert list of the Member State concerned.

Visas D can only be issued abroad by an Austrian representation authority. If Austria is represented in one state by another Schengen state, this representation can only issue Schengen visas. If a visa D is required, you have to contact the competent Austrian representation authority (→ BMEIA) in a neighboring country.


You can also get more information about the entry requirements for Austria at Hotline 01/531 26-3557 (9 a.m. to 11 a.m.) of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Department V / 7.

Related Links

Legal bases

Last updated: February 8, 2021

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior