How do I choose a graphics card
Which graphics card do I have in my computer or laptop?
What graphics card do I have? Have you already asked yourself this question - for example, because you want to install a new driver? We'll show you how to find out what kind of graphics card or GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) you have on a Windows PC and a Mac.
Windows: Identify the graphics card with the DirectX diagnosis
The DirectX diagnosis (DxDiag) can answer the question quickly. The Windows Diagnostic Tool is there to provide information that will help you identify and troubleshoot problems related to DirectX video and DirectX sound. DirectX is a standardized interface from Microsoft that makes it easier for programmers, for example, to develop games. On the other hand, GPU manufacturers are also aligning their products with DirectX. In addition to all these functions, DxDiag can do something else: Show you which graphics card is in your laptop or desktop PC.
This is how it works using Windows 10 as an example:
- Press the Windows key and R on the keyboard at the same time.
- In the newly opened window, enter “dxdiag” in the “Open” field.
- Click on "Ok".
- Wait for the DirectX diagnostic program to open (this may take a few seconds).
- Click on the "Display" tab.
- Under “Name” you will find the designation of the graphics card installed in your device, as well as further information such as the manufacturer, chip type and total memory.
Tip: If you have other monitors, GPUs, or an onboard graphics card, the diagnostic program will display several numbered "display" tabs for details on each one.
In the device manager under Windows you can easily see which graphics card you have. - Picture:Own creation, screenshot Windows
Read out the GPU via the Windows Device Manager
Another way to find out what kind of graphics card you have is through the Device Manager. It only takes a few clicks to do this. This is how it works under Windows 10:
- Right-click the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the system tray.
- Select “Device Manager” in the context menu.
- Details on all hardware components of your computer are displayed here.
- Click on the little arrow next to "Graphics Cards".
- The name of your graphics card is now displayed below “Graphics cards” - there can also be several.
- For more information, such as driver details, right-click a graphics card name.
- Select “Properties” in the context menu.
- In the “Driver” tab you can view the driver version and update it if necessary.
Tip: The device manager can also be opened via the "Run" dialog. Simply use the key combination Windows key and R, enter “devmgmt.msc” in the input field and confirm with “Enter”.
Which graphics card is in your Mac?
On a MacBook or iMac, it only takes a few clicks to find out which GPU is in your computer. That's how it's done:
- Click the apple icon in the top left.
- Select "About This Mac". A new window will open.
- In the tab “Overview” you can see next to “Graphics card” which graphics processor your Mac is working with - there can also be several.
- To get more detailed information about your GPU, you can click on “System Report” at the bottom of the window.
- Select “Graphics / Displays” in the left column.
- The graphics cards are listed in the top right window - including information on whether it is an integrated or a stand-alone GPU.
- If you click on one of the cards, all associated details are listed in the window below, such as chipset, type and manufacturer.
You can see details about the graphics card in the system report for your Mac. - Picture:Own creation, screenshot: Apple
If your Mac has a built-in GPU, you can see which apps are accessing it. Usually these are graphics or video editing programs or games. Here's how to find out:
- Open the activity monitor by entering the search term in the Spotlight search.
- Alternatively, you can find it via the Finder and the path “Programs | Utilities | Activity indicator ”.
- Select the "Energy" tab.
- If certain programs use the stand-alone GPU, this is noted in the column “Requires high-performance GPU”. Sometimes the column is simply called “graphics card”.
- If you don't see this column, your Mac only has one graphics processor.
Are you satisfied with your GPU? Or what alternative would you like? Please write us a comment!
You might also be interested in these topics:
- What is an exclusive OR gate
- Why do garage doors open by themselves
- What are the best ideas for WordPress plugins
- Calculate the square root of 326
- What did you buy with crypto currency
- What are the problems with poverty
- Where did Rahul Gandhi fail
- Advertise Quora
- Is a foot fetish normal
- Can you bend light
- Ghana is richer than India
- The Apple Watch requires an iPhone
- Why should we support unions
- Is Anglicanism very similar to Catholicism?
- Can I drink tap water in Paris?
- What are remittances in business
- What are the limits of business mathematics
- What is standard normal distribution
- How can I make eye contact
- How does gravity exist in the universe
- What are some evergreen blog niches
- How is Japan such a developed country
- How does the TCP-IP model work
- Why are you still in a relationship