What are different types of self harm
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
Self-injurious behavior (SVV) is understood to be actions that consciously damage the body surface. These actions are not socially acceptable and are not intended to be suicidal. Self-harm is not an independent clinical picture but occurs as a symptom of a mental disorder or illness or even without accompanying comorbid psychiatric illness. The most common form of self-harm is the infliction of cuts with sharp or pointed objects such as knives, razor blades, shards or needles. This so-called “scratching” or “cutting” takes place mainly on the arms and legs as well as in the area of the chest and stomach. But burns or chemical burns also occur with self-injurious behavior.
Adolescents with mental disorders or problems have a particularly high risk of developing self-harming behavior. In addition to illnesses - such as depression, obsessive-compulsive eating or anxiety disorders - a lack of self-esteem, the inability to express feelings and weak self-regulatory powers can also be the cause. Self-harm is particularly common in the context of a borderline personality disorder.
In the past, self-harm often had a religious background, e.g. so-called "flagellants" in medieval Christianity whipped themselves to repent. Similar practices were also reported in pre-Christian religions. Since the 1990s, there has been an increase in self-harming behavior among young people in Europe and America, as well as in Eastern countries. However, SVV can also occur in older people. Physical damage in the context of stereotypical self-harm (e.g. in the case of autistic or mentally handicapped people) is not counted as SIA in the strict sense of the word.
In Germany, lifetime prevalence rates of 25% and one-year prevalence rates of 14% have been described in adolescents. Around 4% of adolescents repeatedly show self-harming behavior (repetitive SVV). No data are available from adulthood. A worldwide prevalence of SIA in adolescence of around 19% is reported.
- Real paganism is still practiced
- The Chinese dishes are potatoes
- Is JVZoo real
- How can the US collapse from within
- Sociopaths are easy to manipulate
- Why are Europeans so impatient with tourists?
- What was your last adventure
- What is the use of literature
- What celebrity you despise most
- Can people with diabetes consume Coke Zero
- How does fast food cause heart disease
- What is used now instead of VBA
- How can you increase sales with branding
- Why does China have a closed economy
- How powerful is Darth Vader
- Why are some cannon barrels octagonal
- Is there any bad contemporary art
- Wordpress is harder to use than Wix
- Can gravity exist outside a magnetic field
- Why was Ezra Fabrick banned
- Which cigarette is best for health
- Cats try to imitate their owners
- How much are the housekeepers of the hotel paid
- Have you found your passion