What is the least number of microns
Worksheet 1c: - How small / big are viruses?
Viruses: 15 to 400 nm (nanometers)
Bacteria: 0.3 to 1 µm (micrometers)
Human: 1.5 to 2 m (meters)
Small number prefixes:
10 -3 10 -6 10 -9 10 -12 10 -15
Milli- (m) micro- (µ) nano- (n) pico- (p) femto- (f)
400 nm = 0.4 µm
The largest viruses are as big as the smallest bacteria.
Most bacteria can be visualized with a light microscope. The resolution of the light microscope is not sufficient for viruses and very small bacteria. You need an electron microscope.
Resolving power of the human eye: 0.02 mm or 20 µm
I.e. if two lines are 0.02 mm apart, then we can just recognize them as two lines; when they are closer together we see them as a line.
Look at a ruler or graph paper. The smallest division is millimeters, one millimeter is 1000 µm or 50 by 20 µm. So imagine if a millimeter were again divided into 50 graduation lines. Our eyes are so good that they could still tell two lines apart.
- Measure the item handed out so that you can easily see it with the eye. Imagine a virus that size, can you imagine how big you would be in relation to that?
- Since it's hard to estimate, try to figure it out.
Example of a ratio calculation: someone is 2 meters tall, his pencil is 10 cm long. If the pencil were 1 meter long, the person would be proportionally 20 meters tall. Note the different units (nm, cm, mm, m)!
Use the back for your invoice and write down your result here:
- What to Shop for When Visiting Singapore
- There are five things that people never forget
- What do you think of drug addicts
- Who is the founder of Forbes magazine
- Prague University has real value
- What do Asian Americans think of whites?
- How to achieve enlightenment 1
- How long does the seminar last
- What is rancidity
- Why does my Xanax stop working
- How many votes did Trump get
- How do I lead a fulfilled life
- What are your hidden talents
- What is the fate
- Why does the Labor Party fail
- How impact craters create mountains
- What do you think of Nancy Pelosi
- Where's Sedona
- What kind of people is Quora missing
- Which form is the best beta-alanine
- What does 10
- What is a word press
- Who is Miriam Fabrick
- Space-time has gravity for itself