Why did the US impose sanctions on Iran
According to a decision by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the USA must at least temporarily lift some of the newly imposed sanctions against Iran. This applies to measures that threaten humanitarian aid and the security of air traffic, ruled the highest court of the United Nations in The Hague.
The judges upheld a lawsuit brought by Iran to the court in July. Tehran called for the US sanctions against the country to be lifted.
US President Donald Trump terminated the 2015 international nuclear agreement with Tehran and announced at the beginning of May that US sanctions against the country would be reinstated. Before the court, the US argued that the sanctions were legal and justified measures to protect national security that the Iranian leadership could not challenge in The Hague. According to the US government, the UN court is not responsible for this.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry welcomed the court's decision against it: "The decision was a recognition of our legitimate position," it said.
The IGH is the United Nations tribunal for the settlement of international disputes. Its decisions are binding, but the court has no way of enforcing their implementation. The US and Iran have repeatedly ignored court decisions in the past.
Read more on the subject
- What is mainland China
- Why shouldn't we waste food
- Is the RAM size of a graphics card important
- What is the best way to explain stoicism
- What do the British call biscuits
- What are some swear words in Vietnamese
- How do seedless grapes multiply
- What is magnetic bearing
- What is lieutenant governor
- Why Do People Trust DNA Ancestry Testing
- How important is sex to you
- What is technical sales
- Get lawyers tested for drugs
- Could Google shut down the internet
- How does the adoption of agriculture increase population growth
- How is anal sex comfortable for women?
- Can military personnel buy automatic weapons
- Adsense is patented
- Where do dice games come from
- Is it illegal to burn money?
- Are the US and Canadian immigration linked
- How a self-service supermarket recognizes items that have not been purchased
- Why are IKEA furniture so expensive
- Will the head transplant extend human life expectancy?
- People with Asperger's Syndrome are good statisticians
- Who invented the triangle?
- Can I let my retracted hairline grow?
- How were the ancient Roman cities
- Can a turtle fly
- Is Lianja App Builder good
- Runs well for 30 minutes
- What is the best course in finance
- Why is the normal distribution called normal
- Which is better AK 74 or M16