Is Finnish related to Estonian and Hungarian
Where does Finnish come from?
People often mistakenly assume that the languages of neighboring countries are closely related.
Finns are often asked: "Is Finnish like Swedish?" or “Does everyone in Finland speak Russian?” The simple answer to both questions is "No!" Swedish, although one of the two official languages in Finland, and Russian belong to the Indo-European language group, while Finnish belongs to the Finnish-Ugric language group, which includes Hungarian, Estonian, Sami (spoken by the indigenous people in northern Finland, Sweden, Norway and in the north-west of Russia ) and some lesser-known languages spoken in Russia.
That the Finnish-Ugric languages have a common origin is sufficiently proven by common lexical and grammatical features. Although these languages have diverged over thousands of years, common traits can be identified. Including:
1) absence of gender (the same Finnish pronoun “hän” denotes both “he” and “she” and “it”)
2) Missing articles (der, die, das in German)
3) long words due to the structure of the language
4) numerous grammatical cases
5) Ownership is expressed by suffixes
6) Postpositions in addition to prepositions
7) no equivalent for the verb "haben"
There are various speculative theories about the time and place of origin of the so-called proto-Finnish-Ugric language group. According to the most popular theory, Hungarian and Finnish are only separated by a six thousand year separate development.
How long Finnish-speaking people have colonized Finland is a question that has always interested Finnish scholars. Today it is assumed that since at least 3000 BC People of the Finnish-Ugric language lived in the region of today's Finland, who in the following millennia expanded their contacts with neighboring Indo-European languages (e.g. Baltic, Germanic and Slavic dialects).
Numerous loan words in Finnish, Estonian and other Baltic-Finnish languages (Karelian, Lüdisch, Wepsisch, Wotisch and Livisch) attest to the existence of contacts between people of the Finnish language group and Indo-Europeans. But not only vocabulary was borrowed, but also numerous grammatical forms. Most of the borrowings in today's Finnish language come from the Germanic and Scandinavian languages, especially Swedish.
Afraid of Finnish? »
The Complexity of “I Like You” »
By Hannele Branch, Lecturer in Finnish at the University of London
Ideas for a better life: Millennium Technology Prize in livestream and online innovation forum
The 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner will be announced in a live-streamed ceremony on May 18. Following the ceremony, a virtual event will take place online on May 19, the Millennium Innovation Forum.
“The World Was Big Back then”: A Brief Guide to Finland's Moomin Books
Here is our short list of Moomin novels by Tove Jansson, arguably Finland's most famous writer and artist. Here you can relive the adventures or discover the original books if you've just read the comics. Plus: A slide show takes you to the Moomin exhibition at the National Museum of Finland.
Finland celebrates 100 years of independence in 2017
The Finns gained their independence on December 6, 1917. The country is celebrating its 100th anniversary year in Finland and around the globe with countless events.
"Circular Fashion" goes well with Finland
With its hip flea market boutiques through to luxury re-commerce, the Finnish second-hand fashion scene signals a shift towards the circular economy in the fashion industry.
- What are some examples of relative pronouns
- How much should I tip Doordash
- What makes the Indian mother-in-law happy?
- Was Diogenes of Sinope a stoic
- What is influencer marketing
- How can I get lean faster
- Check what is canceled
- Are photons and light the same
- What is causing red spots on my skin
- How much duplicate content is acceptable
- The United States will collapse
- How much does immunotherapy cost
- Are doctors overworked in China
- How do I combine gift cards online
- What does hokkien simi
- Illegal immigration causes overpopulation
- What if Madara was good
- What is something innovative that you have done
- Which wire can carry more current?
- How has bodybuilding changed your woman
- What makes a person physically ugly
- What is your favorite job
- What Are Some Neurobion Tablet Used For
- Success is more important than luck