How specific fuel consumption affects engine performance
How high is the fuel consumption in Germany?
A light press on the accelerator pedal - and 1 to 1.5 tons of material are set in motion. Movement needs energy. The energy raw material for truck and car fuels, diesel and gasoline, is crude oil. The oil reserves will be used up in about 50 years. Experts estimate that around the world from 1995 to 2030, 41.6 billion tons of petroleum will be used for cars Oil reservesof the world were calculated at around 241 billion tons for 2017.
Specific fuel consumption of cars in Germany
The specific fuel consumption of cars per 100 km is determined on the test bench in a uniform test cycle that was improved in 1996 and in 2018. The information for each type of car can be found on the data sheet or in car magazines. However, the actual consumption is even higher and today averages 6.8 l / 100 km for diesel cars and 7.7 l / 100 km for gasoline cars. It's hard to believe that consumption is just below the 1960 level. But did the engineers sleep for 60 years? No, the engines have become worlds more efficient, but:
- the cars are becoming more and more comfortable and safer - and thus become bigger and heavier,
- Today, cars are without exception with energy-consuming secondary consumers such as B. Air conditioners equipped,
- people use their wealth to buy ever bigger cars with ever more powerful engines,
- Of course, people drive these cars faster and faster.
Reduce fuel consumption
In addition, the Number of cars and those per car kilometers covered in the year have continued to rise. This is why the total consumption of fuel for cars in Germany has continued to rise and has more than tripled compared to 1960. Only since the turn of the millennium has there been a slight decrease in consumption, because the population uses their car more consciously, also due to rising fuel prices.
The potential for saving fuel is enormous. A forward-looking and energy-saving driving style alone can save up to 30% fuel. There is also the option of choosing a small and economical vehicle - or switching to the bus, train or bike for a suitable route, or walking.
The annual Shell Eco-Marathon shows what is possible. The vehicles taking part in the competition can travel over 3,000 km on a racetrack with one liter of petrol.
Fuel consumption of road traffic in Germany
Fuel consumption is shown in petajoules (PJ) on the graph. In this way, the fuels gasoline ("Otto fuel") and diesel can be shown in one figure, although they have different energy densities. In the case of cars, the amount of diesel fuel consumed increases, and gasoline consumption decreases to the same extent. Today almost only gasoline engines with a regulated catalytic converter (G-Kat) are on the road. Almost a third of the fuel is used for truck transport. Expressed in tonnes, 16.9 million tonnes of petrol and 32.9 million tonnes of diesel were used in Germany in 2016. That is around 228,000,000 hectoliters of gasoline and 403,000,000 hectoliters of diesel.
Forecast fuel consumption of the modes of transport up to 2030
The forecast model of the Institues for Energy and Environment (ifeu) assumes that the traffic performance (i.e. the distance of the people or goods transported) in Germany increases sharply and almost triples in air traffic. Nevertheless, due to greater efficiency through energy-saving measures, fuel consumption in air traffic is expected to increase only slightly and to decrease in road traffic.
- Why do narcissists triangulate
- Is fast food really food
- Which is the best steam iron
- What is cognitive psychology
- How is teeth cleaning done
- Is It Safe To Eat Tomato Seeds?
- How do brains represent and process information
- What makes a good ecommerce product manager
- Were people banished from Quora
- What is Trump's gun control policy
- What is the difference between short and long
- Is ndtv a biased news channel
- Which is better C ++ or Java
- What sleeping pills cause death
- Which nouns are masculine in French
- Who founded the Methodist Church?
- What are heart diseases
- What are some stylish motorcycle jackets
- Can people leave the Milky Way
- What are the best street foods from Patna
- Which company makes the TI 83 calculator?
- How much will IBM pay
- The Nazis were ashamed of killing people
- How do I find an online mentor